Highway 1 Closure Travel Updates
Highway 1 Closure: Please note that all SLO CAL Highway 1 destinations are open and accessible via Highway 1 from the south. If coming into SLO CAL from the north or traveling north into Monterey County, please be advised of the following:
- Highway 1 is closed from Ragged Point (NW SLO County) to 15 miles north of Big Sur at Palo Colorado in Monterey County.
- Additionally, Highway 1 will be closed in Monterey County until further notice to replace the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge, located one mile south of Big Sur.
- Northbound through-travelers on Highway 1 are encouraged to take Highway 46 East towards Paso Robles as a detour, and proceed to Highway 101 North.
- From Monterey, southbound travelers are encouraged to take Highway 68 East at Monterey, and proceed to Highway 101 South.
- Caltrans provides current Highway 1 updates as well.
- Highway 1 Closure Information Sheet
- The Best Detour You Will Ever Take - Accessing Highway 1 in SLO CAL
- Take the Open Road - Accessing Highway 1 in SLO CAL
UPDATE Wed May 30, 2018
Parts of highway 1 are still closed due the mudslides, boulders and bridge situation. The new Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge which opened back in October was a great victory. Unfortunately, a big chunk of highway 1 is still closed and the re-opening date is scheduled for late summer 2018. In all reality, you cannot make it all the way down the coast on Highway 1. However we have updated our Maps below and you can still see a lot of the beautiful scenery along Highway 1 but you're going to be a little savvy about the directions and routes you take. Don't worry because we have got everything you need to make the trip successful!
From the North
If you are coming from the North you can make it all the way down the Highway 1 until you hit a little past Gorda. The good news is you can still see a lot of what Big Sur has to offer and like we said, Caltrans is working on fixing the mudslides which caused the road closure. The turnaround point is just past Gorda so please make a note of this because if you skip this and you drive all the way down to Gorda, you will need to turnaround. So if you are actually planning on driving down the coast past ragged point inn, you would have to drive back up to Monterey to catch the 101 US freeway which would take you from Monterey to Ragged Point (follow the map below). Just to reiterate- if you are planning to visit Ragged Point Inn or the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery or if you just plan on traveling down the coast you must take 101 US Freeway. However you want to just visit Gorda, Lucia or any of the near sights along Highway (up until a little past Gorda) then you are fine and can just drive down Highway 1 knowing you have to turn back right after you pass Gorda.
From the South
If you are traveling from the south you can take Highway 1 all the way towards Ragged Point Inn. A little past there you will have to turn around because the road is damaged (from the mud slides). This is slated to be fixed and up and running by late summer 2018. The best way to travel up to Ragged Point from the south is by taking 101 US freeway (see the image below). We should note that traveling on the 101 US freeway will get you past slightly past Ragged Point Inn. You will be able to see Hearst Castle and the Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery if that's why you're aiming for.
How to find out if Highway 1 is open
One word of caution is that highway 1 right around Ragged Point Inn and Gorda seem to both be prone to closures out of the blue for hours at a time. This can be very disrupting for your trip and so we recommend two things
1) Go to the CalTrans website and enter in highway 1 closure. You will be able to see live updates and you can make adjustments to your trip if necessary.
2) You can also see a quick map of the main areas that have closures.
All in all if you want to see the beautiful, majestic scenery of Highway 1 you will have to be careful and plan your trip accordingly.
UPDATE- October 13, 2017
Caltrans today announced that the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge is open to travel and officially reopened around 1:10 PM. You can now drive about 60 miles south of Carmel on Highway 1. To drive "through" Big Sur Travelers will have to take Nacimiento-Fergusson road detour around mud creek slide, which is scheduled to reopen sometime next summer.
Things To Note:
- Because of the bridge opening, there is 35 miles of Highway 1 for travelers going to Gorda.
- State route 1 is still closed from just north of Salmon Creek
- Be aware that you still cannot go the entire length of highway 1 from near Carmel to South of Cambria but we wanted to make sure you know that local businesses are open to both sides of the Mud Creek.
UPDATE - Closure and Construction updates around Highway 1 (updated as of 8/31/2017)
#1 - Full closure 4.6 miles north of ragged point inn due to slide removal (expected to end june 2018)
#2 - Full closure at Mud Creek 8.85 miles north of ragged point inn due to slide removal (expected to end june 2018)
#3 - One way traffic operation Gorda to Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge - (expected to end sept 30 2017)(last updated 8/31/2017
#4 - Full closure from Big Sur Station to Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge due to bridge maintenance (expected to end sept 30, 2017)
#5 - 1 Lane closure from Rocky Creek Bridge to Palo Colorado due to tree work (expected to end august 31,201)
Driving from LA
If you are driving from Los Angeles to Ragged Point make sure you keep up to date with the latest construction and travel updates on Highway 1. Here is a map with directions for the fastest route from travelers from Los Angeles or Southern California. If you have any questions contact us here.
Note - This information is updated as of 8/31/2017
- Take US- 101 Freeway and head north
- Take the exit 203b Morro Bay/Hearst Castle
- Turn right on Santa Rosa Rd and continue straight
- Follow Highway 1 all the way to Ragged Point
Driving from Monterrey
If you are driving from Monterrey to Ragged Point make sure you keep up to date with the latest construction and travel updates on Highway 1. Here is a map with directions for the fastest route for travelers from Monterrey or Santa Cruz to Ragged Point. If you have any questions contact us here.
Note - This information is updated as of 8/31/2017
- Take Highway 1 N
- Take exit 401 b towards CA-68 East towards Salinas
- Continue on CA-68 to River Rd.
- Take exit 20 for River Rd toward Reservation Rd
- Get on US 101
- Follow US-101 S to CA-46 W/Green Valley Rd in Paso Robles.
- Continue on CA-46 towards Cambria
- Turn right and continue north on Highway 1 until Ragged Point
Still have questions? Contact us here and we would be glad to help out.
Ragged Point Inn and Resort
19019 Highway 1
Ragged Point, CA 93452
Lumiere Gift Shop
Special Events & Weddings
To Reach a Guest